Definition of colonoscope in English:
A flexible fibre-optic instrument inserted through the anus in order to examine the colon.
- Resting comfortably on one side, most people feel only a little discomfort as the colonoscope is carefully inserted into the back passage.
- Your doctor will probably look inside your intestines with a sigmoidoscope or a colonoscope.
- However, endoscopes can only examine the upper portions of the digestive system, while colonoscopes study the lower portion, or colon.
- Example sentences
- Images of the upper gastrointestinal tract and colon are inferior to those obtained by upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and colonoscopy.
- The surgeon diagnoses the problem by barium enema or a colonoscopy and schedules surgery.
- Hemorrhage is most common when colonoscopy is used to biopsy or remove colonic lesions.
Pronunciation: /kɒləˈnɒskəpi/noun (plural colonoscopies)
Definition of colonoscope in:
- US English dictionary