- A style of American abstract painting prominent from the late 1940s to the 1960s which features large expanses of unmodulated colour covering the greater part of the canvas. Barnett Newman and Mark Rothko were considered its chief exponents.More example sentences
- The gallery manages to represent a wide gamut of modern painting styles: colour-field painting, abstracts, figurative and representational styles are all here.
- All the familiar movements in art have their patch of ground: here is a room of Abstract Expressionist painting, there one of color-field painting.
- Geometric abstraction and colour-field painting were the height of art fashion in America in the 1960s.
More definitions of colour-field paintingDefinition of colour-field painting in:
- The US English dictionary