- A dye, pigment, or other substance that colours something: a range of natural hair colourants [mass noun]: the amount of colourant that must be appliedMore example sentences
- Within a few years, a variety of these potentially safer organic dyes began to replace mineral pigments as food colorants.
- Lobsters and crabs, as well as some mollusks, worms, and fish species (salmon and trout, for example), use carotenoid colorants.
- Most tattoo colorants are industrial pigments, and chemical industries have never produced them for human use but only to stain consumer goods.
More definitions of colourantDefinition of colourant in:
- The US English dictionary