Definition of colourist in English:
1An artist or designer who uses colour in a special or skilful way.
- I showed them examples of artists known as colorists, Paul Gauguin and Franz Marc, so they could see how one might choose to manipulate the viewer's eye.
- She too was a pupil of Matisse and is regarded as one of the finest colourists among Swedish artists of her generation.
- But he drew greater inspiration from studying the old masters in the Louvre, in particular such colourists as Rubens and Veronese.
1.1A person who tints black-and-white films.
- Many studios employed colorists to tint the images.
- These are extreme examples of the magical effect colourists can have on film.
- Korshev looked at film close-ups and, with a colorist's eye for khakis and ochres, painted a soldier who has lost an eye but stares unblinkingly at the viewer.
1.2A hairdresser who specializes in dyeing people’s hair.
- Most salons that style men's hair also offer a colorist.
- Schedule a consultation with a colorist to make your hair radiate.
- I wouldn't even know what kind of salon or barber to go to for starters; it would seem weird to go to the same hair colorist as my girlfriend.
Definition of colourist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan