- A dull metallic mineral which is a combination of columbite and tantalite and which is refined to produce tantalum.More example sentences
- Thousands of Grauer's mountain gorillas, chimpanzees and elephants have been slaughtered for food by illegal miners searching for coltan, a mineral containing metals like tantalum and niobium, used in cellphones and computers.
- With the cell phone industry booming, the park's resources and wildlife are under massive strain from miners seeking colombo-tantalite, also known as coltan or tantalum.
- But cell phones also include coltan, a mineral extracted in the deep forests of Congo in central Africa, home to the world's endangered lowland gorillas.
More definitions of coltanDefinition of coltan in:
- The US English dictionary