noun[treated as singular]
- The branch of mathematics dealing with combinations of objects belonging to a finite set in accordance with certain constraints, such as those of graph theory.More example sentences
- Generating functions have numerous applications in mathematics, especially in combinatorics, probability theory, statistics, the theory of Markov chains, and number theory.
- His early works range over number theory, statistics, combinatorics, game theory, as well as his principal interest of commutative algebra.
- The problems which attracted him most were problems in combinatorics, graph theory, and number theory.
1940s: from combinatorial (see combination), influenced by German Kombinatorik.
More definitions of combinatoricsDefinition of combinatorics in:
- The US English dictionary