Definition of comely in English:
adjective (comelier, comeliest)archaic or , humorous
1(Typically of a woman) pleasant to look at; attractive: the comely Italian actress Valeria Golino
More example sentences
- I managed to resist the allure of comely females for the rest of the day; but unfortunately, at night time, I relapsed again.
- Which football nation is represented by the most comely lady?
- Shall we not at long last spare this good and comely woman from further degradation?
attractive, good-looking, nice-looking, beautiful, pretty, handsome, lovely, stunning, striking, arresting, gorgeous, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistible;
sexy, sexually attractive, sexual, seductive, alluring, tantalizing, ravishing, desirable, sultry, sensuous, sensual, erotic, arousing, luscious, lush, nubile;
Scottish & Northern English bonny
informal fanciable, beddable, tasty, hot, smashing, knockout, drop-dead gorgeous, out of this world, easy on the eye, come-hither, come-to-bed
British informal fit
Australian/New Zealand informal spunky
1.1Agreeable; suitable: a comely specimen
More example sentences
- Why would Bridget not consent to such a suitable arrangement, with a comely, clever, supremely eligible young man; not consent, moreover, when she was carrying his child?
- The building, with the comely address of 11 Spring Street, has inspired conspiracy theories, fear, loathing and - in the pages of the New York Times - utter perplexity.
- In the shares-for-loans feast, they paid $170.1m for a controlling share in NN, producer of half the world's platinoid metals, a fifth of its nickel, and a comely share of its gold and copper.
- Example sentences
- The notion of beauty is associated with a variety of other words and meanings, including, majesty, glory, honor, loveliness, comeliness, pleasantness, delightfulness, and excellence.
- Charmed by the bull's comeliness, Europa and her handmaidens deck him with flowers.
- This is when the female population of Scotland emerge chrysalis-like from their usual many layers of clothing to reveal unsuspected heights of comeliness.
Middle English: probably shortened from becomely 'fitting, becoming', from become.
Words that rhyme with comelyrumly
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.