- 1Causing or meant to cause laughter: a comic monologueMore example sentences
humorous, funny, droll, amusing, entertaining, diverting, absurd, ridiculous, comical, chucklesome, farcical, silly, slapstick, hilarious, uproarious, hysterical, hysterically funny, zany; witty, jocular, joking, facetious, waggish• informal priceless, side-splitting, rib-tickling, killing, killingly funny, screamingly funny, a scream, a hoot, a laugh, a barrel of laughs
- You are witty, have great comic timing and a fantastic accent.
- Grint's got fantastic comic timing and knows exactly how far to take it, often stealing a scene with nothing more than a look.
- It's a hilarious film full of gems of comic absurdity that are mixed in with nonchalant understatement.
- 1.1Relating to or in the style of comedy: a comic actor comic dramaMore example sentences
- It may have been written in a comic style, but it's hardly the barrel of laughs the reviewers make it out to be.
- This is the theatrical ambition of every comic actor who dreams of going beyond comedy to tragedy.
- It is a unique mix of comedy characters and comic sketches spiced up by a team of the best oriental writers and performers.
nounBack to top
- 1A comedian: he is training as a stand-up comicMore example sentences
- Half of the work for a stand-up comic is actually the willingness to put yourself out there and give it a shot.
- As a stand-up comic, MacAulay has a rare gift - he can put his audience at ease and mercilessly ridicule them at the same time.
- My grandfather was a clergyman in the Church of England and he was one of the funniest stand-up comics I ever met.
- 2A periodical containing comic strips, intended chiefly for children: the shop sold newspapers and children’s comicsMore example sentences
- Children shared books, comics and newspapers with a family member or friend to see how much literature they could get through in a week.
- Do I go for a long wander around London or do I stay in and finally sort out the piles of books, comics and magazines in the hallway?
- During the publication of the monthly comic, one issue in particular stands out.
- 2.1 (comics) North American Comic strips.More example sentences
- We loaded the car up with snacks, comics, some storybooks and a selection of toys in order to keep up Zachery's interest.
- He was not the caricature that cartoonists and comics had created.
- Transparencies were made of the cartoons and comics to share with students.
late 16th century: via Latin from Greek kōmikos, from kōmos 'revel'.