- 1The action or fact of commemorating a dead person or past event: local martyrs received public commemoration the window was ordered by the duchess in commemoration of her sonMore example sentences
- On Saturday last he planted a willow tree in commemoration of the event, surrounded by his friends.
- The event is held annually in commemoration of the founding of the Organization of the African Unity.
- In commemoration of the event a 20 Baht coin has been struck.
- 1.1 [count noun] A ceremony or celebration in which a person or event is remembered: commemorations of wartime anniversariesMore example sentences
- Recent days have seen a series of commemorations of defining events in the past century of Bulgarian history.
- Each year since 1796, commemorations of the key events are organised in Ireland.
- Limited editions are frequently produced, often based around special events and commemorations.
late Middle English: from Latin commemoratio(n-), from the verb commemorare 'bring to remembrance' (see commemorate).
More definitions of commemorationDefinition of commemoration in:
- The US English dictionary