1A common multiple of the denominators of several fractions. See also lowest common denominator, least common denominator.
- Others would rewrite the fractions using common denominators.
- In particular he sees the reduction of fractions to a common denominator as hard.
- In order to add these fractions, we need to find the common denominator.
1.1A feature shared by all members of a group: the common denominator in these companies is the awareness of the importance of quality
More example sentences
- The only common denominator between its members is that they are the most industrially developed countries in the world.
- Little did you know, each of those three experiences shares a common denominator.
- The one thing they wanted me to figure out was what was the common denominator with all my readers.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: com¦mon de|nom¦in|ator
Definition of common denominator in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.