- A book into which notable extracts from other works are copied for personal use.More example sentences
- I'm not sure how many people these days keep a commonplace book - a notebook in which to collect interesting and useful quotations for later reference.
- He or she was a committed dweller of libraries, a writer in margins, and a keeper of commonplace books, often with personalized cross-referencing systems.
- One young woman named Mary Flower copied into her commonplace book a poem on women's power called, ironically, ‘The Withered Rose.’
More definitions of commonplace bookDefinition of commonplace book in:
- The US English dictionary