The close planting of different plants that enhance each other’s growth or protect each other from pests.
More example sentences
- Many gardeners swear by companion planting - pairing two plants in a garden for mutual benefit or at least the advantage of one.
- Tips on predicting the weather (keep an eye on your azaleas), sowing seeds in sync with the phases of the moon, companion planting, and dealing with pests are all included.
- I learned companion planting isn't just for plants, it works even better for humans.
companion plant noun
- More example sentences
- Because Elaeagnus promotes the growth of nitrogen-fixing bacteria, it makes an outstanding companion plant in the garden, landscape, or orchard.
- In the garden, basil is a fine ornamental and has a long history as a companion plant; it's supposed to improve the growth and flavor of tomatoes and help repel flying insects.
- Besides its well-known reputation as a culinary stand-out, basil is equally impressive in the garden, both for its benefits as a companion plant and for its dramatic and versatile use in the landscape.
Definition of companion planting in:
- The US English dictionary