2The action of playing a musical accompaniment, especially in jazz or blues: the guitarists approach the delicacy of Cole in their comping
More example sentences
- The head is a beautiful meditation that is aided by McBee's sensitive, free foundation and Markowitz's rubato comping.
- The solos are strong enough to withstand the rhythm section's energetic and interactive comping.
- Graf's rhythm guitar and Paul LaBrise's able piano comping usually free him up to do whatever he wants, too, and his responses to the vocal melodies are usually more interesting than the vocals themselves.
- sense 1.More example sentences
- Many compers also subscribe to magazines which give details about the best competitions around each month.
- Not an easy question, but most experienced compers find it's not unreasonable to expect to win 5-10% of the comps they have entered.
- Sorry to mix metaphors, but going out of your way to hear good compers is also sort of like keeping your eye on the linebackers in an American football game.
Definition of comping in:
- The US English dictionary