2 Grammar All the clause constituents that are governed by a verb, nominalization, or adjective: information as to a verb’s complementation tells the learner about its meaning
More example sentences
- This paper describes the outcome of a project to code the complementation patterns of all the verbs in Collins COBUILD English Dictionary.
- Does the language student simply have to learn, by rote, which complementation patterns are associated with each verb in the language, or are there general guiding principles which account for the complementation patterns?
3 Genetics The phenomenon by which the effects of two different non-allelic mutations in a gene are partly or entirely cancelled out when they occur together.
- Currently, we have confirmed a male gametophytic function for four of these genes through genetic complementation and/or the isolation of additional insertion alleles.
- Mutant m403 appeared to be slightly temperature sensitive for growth, but it proved too leaky to allow cloning of the wild-type gene by complementation.
- All strains were deleted for the endogenous pah1 gene to avoid complementation of transgene loss of function.
Definition of complementation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.