(also chiefly US compliancy)
Definition of compliance in English:
1The action or fact of complying with a wish or command: the ways in which the state maintains order and compliance
More example sentences
- The empire must now be made to work through the capacity of a sovereign British authority to command compliance rather than again risking the uncertainties of voluntary co-operation.
- If made within a reasonable space of time after the original publication of findings, such requests are normally complied with promptly and compliance is in fact normally seen as ethically required.
- Now, sometimes one gets that even with regulatory legislation where one wishes to encourage compliance.
1.1Excessive acquiescence: the appalling compliance with government views shown by the commission
1.2The state or fact of according with or meeting rules or standards: all imports of timber are in compliance with regulations [as modifier]: this paper estimates the compliance costs of such a policy change
More example sentences
- Even as vehicle tariffs fall in compliance with WTO rules, fuel economy standards will restrict imports of classic American light truck and luxury cars.
- According to Ramos, the university had not been in compliance with the security rules the state sets out for research access to sensitive data.
- Records should be developed and maintained according to AATB recommendations that are in compliance with FDA rules.
obedience to, accordance with, observance of, observation of, adherence to, conformity to, respect for
archaic abidance by
2 Physics The property of a material of undergoing elastic deformation or (of a gas) change in volume when subjected to an applied force. It is equal to the reciprocal of stiffness.
- It looks awesome and has good balance of stiffness to compliance, but the round drops feel uncomfortable compared to modern shapes
- Mechanical compression is inconvenient, uncomfortable, and subject to poor compliance.
- Major improvements of the wrinkling substrates method include the tuning of the elastic compliance.
2.1 Medicine The ability of an organ to distend in response to applied pressure.
- The authors conclude that the presence of pathogens in the lower airways was associated with the level of inflammation, respiratory compliance, and gas trapping.
- These additional factors may include worsening levels of inflammation hyperresponsiveness, lung compliance, or even levels of symptoms.
- Stage I is characterized by reduced left ventricular filling in early diastole with normal left ventricular and left atrial pressures and normal compliance.
Words that rhyme with compliancealliance, appliance, defiance, misalliance, neuroscience, reliance, science
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.