noun (plural compos)[mass noun]
1A material made up of a mixture of different substances.
- The compo consisted of a mixture of chalk and resins and was pressed into a carved wood mold.
- Hard as stone and quite durable, compo soon became the material of choice for architects and designers working with restricted budgets.
- This monopoly was naturally challenged and within a few years evaded by the development of a different recipe for compo.
2 (also compo rations) British Military rations consisting of a supply of tinned food designed to last a specified number of days and carried in a pack.
- The slick staffers of the Green Zone were reduced to half rations and had to eat compo rations because the MSRs were shut.
- We were also living off compo rations - don't get me wrong, it will keep a soldier going but it is very basic and when you are waiting around for months it really isn't good enough.
- A few boxes of compo rations had been opened and some of the contents removed.
Early 19th century: abbreviation of composite.
Words that rhyme with compoLimpopo
noun[mass noun] Australian /NZ informal
Money paid to an employee as compensation for an industrial injury: he claimed he’d injured his back and got compo for it
More example sentences
- They drink, they gamble, they fight, and they claim compo.
- State legislation is shamefully coy when it comes to compo.
- My traumatic condition has only come to light in very recent times, since I heard about those prisoners claiming compo.
1940s: abbreviation of compensation.
- Australian /NZ informal Receiving workers' compensation: she’ll be out on compo for the rest of the school yearMore example sentences
- For several months that summer, it was Ferguson who was on compo.
- That's another few million on compo due to traumatic stress.
- He gave her such a verbal beating, if it had been physical she would have been on compo for months.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan