noun (plural compos)[mass noun]
1A material made up of a mixture of different substances.
- The compo consisted of a mixture of chalk and resins and was pressed into a carved wood mold.
- Hard as stone and quite durable, compo soon became the material of choice for architects and designers working with restricted budgets.
- This monopoly was naturally challenged and within a few years evaded by the development of a different recipe for compo.
2 (also compo rations) British Military rations consisting of a supply of tinned food designed to last a specified number of days and carried in a pack.
- The slick staffers of the Green Zone were reduced to half rations and had to eat compo rations because the MSRs were shut.
- We were also living off compo rations - don't get me wrong, it will keep a soldier going but it is very basic and when you are waiting around for months it really isn't good enough.
- A few boxes of compo rations had been opened and some of the contents removed.
Early 19th century: abbreviation of composite.
Words that rhyme with compoLimpopo
noun[mass noun] Australian /NZ informal
A payment or series of payments made under a workers' compensation scheme: he claimed he’d injured his back and got compo for it
More example sentences
- They drink, they gamble, they fight, and they claim compo.
- State legislation is shamefully coy when it comes to compo.
- My traumatic condition has only come to light in very recent times, since I heard about those prisoners claiming compo.
- 1on compo
- Australian /NZ informal Receiving money under a workers' compensation scheme: she’ll be out on compo for the rest of the school yearMore example sentences
- Despite medical certificates requesting other duties, disabled workers were put on compo or forced to grin and bear it.
- It would appear the employers are not attending appointments with employees for a common cold but for a workplace injury where a person would be off on compo or disability pension.
- That's another few million on compo due to traumatic stress.
1940s: abbreviation of compensation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.