noun[mass noun] Music
- Musical rhythm or metre in which each beat in a bar is subdivided into three smaller units, so having the value of a dotted note. Compare with simple time.More example sentences
- The irregular division of compound time is rare and notational ‘conventions’ are fluid.
- The following example demonstrate the values of the notes in both simple and compound time signatures.
- Unlike simple time signatures, compound time signatures do not directly show us the number of beats per bar.
More definitions of compound timeDefinition of compound time in:
- The US English dictionary