- The resistance of a material to breaking under compression. Compare with tensile strength.More example sentences
- The compressive strength of a material is calculated as the pounds per square inch required to rupture the specimen or deform it to a given percentage of its height.
- They have a high compressive strength and fair resistance to erosion and scratch abrasion.
- Triaxial compressive strength tests show that saturation causes, in every metamorphic grade, an increase of angle of internal friction as well as a decrease of cohesion.
More definitions of compressive strengthDefinition of compressive strength in:
- The US English dictionary