Definition of compressor in English:
1An instrument or device for compressing something.
- And I'm sure my compressor will lock up with sludge soon.
- Your order for 1200 Genome Intensity Emitter vents and 1500 DNA compressors have been received and are being manufactured.
- There is a little bit of outboard EQ and very few compressors in the monitor system.
1.1A machine used to supply air or other gas at increased pressure, e.g. to power a gas turbine.
- Use the on-board air compressor to blast the dirt out of the cockpit.
- You could use an air compressor with a spray attachment or the traditional brush method.
- The cooler includes a variable displacement compressor for compressing refrigerant gas.
1.2An electrical device which reduces the dynamic range of a sound signal.
- Keep in mind that what a compressor does is reduce the dynamic range of your recording - it makes the loudest parts quieter, and the quieter parts louder.
- Kennedy and Earle also favored a Beatles-esque technique on some of their drum tracks, using Universal Audio 1176 compressors to emulate the sound the '60s group achieved with Fairchild limiters.
- For dynamics, Wadi relies on dbx 160X and 900 compressors.
Words that rhyme with compressoraddresser, aggressor, assessor, confessor, contessa, depressor, digresser, dresser, guesser, intercessor, lesser, Odessa, oppressor, possessor, professor, represser, successor, transgressor, Vanessa
Definition of compressor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan