Definition of conceptualism in English:
noun[mass noun] Philosophy
The theory that universals can be said to exist, but only as concepts in the mind.
- Thus he was particularly devoted to figurative painting, championing it at a time when conceptualism and ‘art theory’ kept all painting on the defensive.
- One consequence of this conceptualism was the loss of a feeling for complexity in art - the richness of specification of traditional mimesis and the intriguing formal relationships of modernist art were often abandoned.
- What is probably the very first monograph ever devoted to Auriol deals with his conceptualism.
- Example sentences
- It is this conceptualist self-reflexivity which is so often the sign of a postmodernist origin.
- By Lyons's definition, Cognitive Grammar would count as unashamedly conceptualist.
- Lest the conceptualists feel overlooked, I should mention Les Leveque's 2 Spellbound, an eight-minute version of Hitchcock's feature film Spellbound.
Definition of conceptualism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan