Definition of concessive in English:
1Characterized by or tending to concession: we must look for a more concessive approach
More example sentences
- Yet they played the best fare on view, but found the Old Leighlin defence in no concessive mood; blocking several shots which could have, in cricket terms, called for a declaration long before the interval.
- The government's concessive draft for partial opening of the education sector is encountering mounting resistance not only from academic circles but also from civic groups.
- The mood in the Garden to alien seeds is not concessive but combative.
2 Grammar (Of a preposition or conjunction) introducing a phrase or clause denoting a circumstance which might be expected to preclude the action of the main clause, but does not (e.g. in spite of, although).
- The final episode started with an explanation for the mystery, but if you thought this was designed to be a closing episode, guess again. and the same thing is also often found with prenominal concessive modifiers.
- This bleached-out concessive or emphatic as such seems to be what Charles Bernstein meant to use in writing an article entitled " Against National Poetry Month As Such’.
- Details of the concordance data are given, broken down in broad categories (concessive conjunction bien que, resultative conjunction si bien que, adverb + completive, etc.).
2.1(Of a phrase or clause) introduced by a concessive preposition or conjunction.
- I don't think I ever read a flame mail where two concessive sentences made any coherent statement that didn't involve the misspelling of the word ‘fag’.
- Therefore, a concessive clause must be part of a complex sentence with an independent clause.
- The force of a concessive sentence is thus very different from that of a conditional sentence.
Words that rhyme with concessiveaggressive, compressive, degressive, depressive, digressive, excessive, expressive, impressive, obsessive, oppressive, possessive, progressive, recessive, regressive, repressive, retrogressive, successive, transgressive
Definition of concessive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.