1In agreement; consistent: the answers were roughly concordant
More example sentences
- Ends and means are concordant and, indeed, explicitly so, with every step toward the outcome a faithful miniature of the larger program.
- As an English major you hit a concordant note with me.
- And it does seem to me that art and love are concordant facets of one truth of salvation.
1.1 Music In harmony.
- He showed that 31-degree equal temperament, with degrees of 38.7¢, gave an excellent rendition of the concordant intervals.
- Harmony can be concordant, with all pitches 'agreeing' with each other, or it can be dissonant, creating a sense of tension.
- The carillon originated in the 12th century in the Low Countries when people wanted not only to make beautiful bells, but also to achieve a sonorous and concordant sound.
1.2 Geology Corresponding in direction with the planes of adjacent or underlying strata.
- East Uralian Zone host rocks surrounding the Dzhabyk batholith have an overall east-dipping foliation that, near the batholith, are concordant with the contact.
- One of the tips yields a concordant analysis with an Ordovician age of 495 Ma.
- However, a true concordant relation between the uppermost Jurassic and the lowest Cretaceous sequences is in principle only found locally, and is restricted to the deepest parts of the basin.
2 Medicine (Of twins) inheriting the same genetic characteristic.
- The contribution of genetics in handedness has been supported by studies of families of concordant twins and adopted individuals.
- Emphasizing inherited components by studying concordant or discordant patient pairs with extreme phenotypes, we were able to detect associations of residual chloride conductance and of modifier genes with the CF phenotype.
- There have been some recent studies using twins which show that there's a higher rate in the concordant, identical twins than in the discordant twins.
- Example sentences
- In the garter snake Thamnophis elegans, strength of chemosensory responses changes concordantly with dietary preferences over the geographic range, and diet and response are heritable.
- This is in contrast to the pattern observed in eutherian mammalian herbivores, in which ‘ungulate’ morphological diversity increased gradually and concordantly with taxonomic diversity (pattern C).
- As supplementary Tables 3 and 4 show, many ESTs from the same TIGR contig were upregulated concordantly.
Words that rhyme with concordantaccordant, discordant, mordant, mordent
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: con|cord|ant
Definition of concordant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.