A very large New World vulture with a bare head and mainly black plumage, living in mountainous country and spending much time soaring on massive outstretched wings.
- Two species in the family Cathartidae: the Andean condor (Vultur gryphus) of South America, and the California (or Californian) condor (Gymnogyps californianus), which is probably extinct in the wild
More example sentences
- The lead found in captive condors and released condors with low levels in their blood had isotope ratios similar to lead found in dead livestock and wildlife that had not been killed by hunters.
- One place the condors still soar is Peru's Colca Canyon, a gorge twice as deep as Arizona's Grand Canyon.
- All condors belong to the same order as the vulture.
early 17th century: from Spanish cóndor, from Quechua kuntur.
More definitions of condorDefinition of condor in:
- The US English dictionary