Definition of confound in English:
- So again like a good politician I shall try to tailor my ideology to make it sound more attuned to a reality that surprises and confounds me.
- The movie never attempts to surprise or confound us.
- If you're a fan of either of these artists then this release isn't going to surprise or confound you.
- At the same time, the electorate behaves now and then in totally unexpected ways - throwing up verdicts that confound popular expectation.
- If we think of the average 18th-century male as being a condescending misogynist, then this man confounds our expectations.
- Instead what you get is something inventive and of the moment - they play tunes from their CD's, but they also like mixing stuff up and confounding expectations.
- Parties and plans often confound the best intentions to live healthfully.
- Perhaps the anti-gambling lobby group has a person on the inside, confounding design plans, adding irrelevant bells, whistles and flashing lights.
- He's absolutely incredulous about my becoming a pastor, as if it has confounded his tactics against my authority as his father and given me some extra power he is not prepared to contend with…
- Neither should right be confounded with wrong.
- Do not confound it with cowardice or ill-temper.
- But this attempt to confound nationality with race is no better than the Russian attempt to confound it with unity of religion.
exclamationdated Back to top
confuse from Middle English:
The early meanings of confuse were ‘rout’ and ‘bring to ruin’. The word comes via French from Latin confundere ‘mingle together, mix up’. Confound (Middle English) comes from the same word.
Words that rhyme with confoundabound, aground, around, astound, bound, compound, dumbfound, expound, found, ground, hound, impound, interwound, mound, pound, profound, propound, redound, round, sound, stoneground, surround, theatre-in-the-round (US theater-in-the-round), underground, wound
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.