- In the past, disputes at Green party congresses were often vehement and passionate, although usually conducted on a very low level.
- At the same time, the party congress was instructive in exposing the political background of the latest round of anti-foreigner and German nationalist agitation.
- Hundreds of psychologists from all over the world attend our annual conventions, and hundreds of U.S. psychologists attend international congresses and other overseas meetings each year.
- As you know, I have spend most of week up on Capitol Hill covering the Congress.
- She could get seven years and says she plans to take her case to the United Nations and the U.S. Congress.
- The Congress of the United States and the president of the United States unite.
- Her next job was at Central Australian Aboriginal Congress, as a Child Health Coordinator.
- The National Congress of Indians provides national leadership on issues facing tribal communities throughout the United States.
- The Congress of Neurological Surgeons exists to enhance health and improve lives worldwide through the advancement of education and scientific exchange.
- Violent husbands offer excuses that range from the wife not doing housework, her frequent visits to her parents' home, or refusing the husband's request for sexual congress.
- The dictionary says that ‘tupping’ describes what rams do to ewes but I first came across it being used in relation to human sexual congress.
- While society has thankfully moved on from the ignorant days when homosexuality was a crime, it is still against the law to indulge in any kind of sexual congress in a public place, and quite rightly so.
Late Middle English (denoting an encounter during battle): from Latin congressus, from congredi 'meet', from con- 'together' + gradi 'walk'.
A congress once meant an encounter during battle: it is from Latin congressus, from congredi ‘meet’, literally ‘walk together’. Use for any ‘coming together’ is reflected in obsolete or archaic uses such as social congress, sexual congress.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: con|gress
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.