Definition of conifer in English:
A tree which bears cones and needle-like or scale-like leaves that are typically evergreen. Conifers are of major importance as the source of softwood, and also supply resins and turpentine.
- Order Coniferales, class Coniferopsida, subdivision Gymnospermae: several families, including the pines and firs (Pinaceae) and the cypresses (Cupressaceae)
- Evergreen trees, including many conifers, support more leaf area than deciduous trees in the same environment.
- They do not need a wall and are happy to scramble over heathers, conifers, trees or hedges.
- Gymnosperms, including conifers, gingkoes, and cycads, were very numerous, as were ferns and horsetails.
- Example sentences
- Those structures that incorporated white oak were also the only residences that incorporated coniferous woods, red cedar, and bald cypress.
- In Washington, they are generally found in mature Ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, or mixed coniferous forests with a thick understory.
- Mountain Chickadees are typically found in dry coniferous forests, especially Ponderosa and lodgepole pines.
Words that rhyme with coniferapocrypha • thurifer
Definition of conifer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan