Definition of conjugated in English:
1 Chemistry Relating to or denoting double or triple bonds in a molecule which are separated by a single bond, across which some sharing of electrons occurs.
- The conjugated double bonds of this structure allow the chlorophyll molecule to absorb energy from sunlight.
- In molecules with conjugated bonds, saturated bonds (carbon atoms with four attached atoms) alternate with unsaturated bonds (carbon atoms with less then four attached atoms.)
- Fading occurs when any chemical process breaks the sequence of conjugated double bonds constituting the chromophore - the dye moiety that imparts colour.
2chiefly Biochemistry (Of a substance) reversibly combined with another: conjugated bile salts
More example sentences
- This increase occurred with both conjugated chemicals and unconjugated chemicals.
- If the conjugated antibody binds to surface proteins on healthy cells, those cells are doomed, as the conjugate will be internalized and digested in the normal fashion.
- Grass-fed burgers are high in conjugated linoleic acids, or CLA.
Definition of conjugated in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan