Definition of connoisseur in English:
An expert judge in matters of taste: a connoisseur of music
More example sentences
- Certainly, there was a host of different dishes hot and steamy to cater to the tastes of connoisseurs.
- A leading connoisseur of bottled water last night advised consumers to pick and choose between bottled and mains water.
- Meanwhile the project seems to have provoked some bemused commentary among art connoisseurs.
- connoisseurship noun
- Example sentences
- When I argue that your connoisseurship or aestheticism are suspect and insist on my own highly materialist readings of things, it does not mean that our field is in disarray.
- Renowned for his visual acumen and connoisseurship, he grew up in Paris and New York, the son of a scholar of medieval church history.
- Why is a curatorial project in feminist revisionism, buttressed by scholarly discussions of Victorian domesticity, gender identity and literary culture, enveloped in a thick mantle of connoisseurship?
Early 18th century: from obsolete French, from conoistre 'know'.
Words that rhyme with connoisseurà deux, agent provocateur, astir, auteur, aver, bestir, blur, bon viveur, burr, Chandigarh, coiffeur, concur, confer, cordon-bleu, cri de cœur, cur, danseur, Darfur, defer, demur, de rigueur, deter, entrepreneur, er, err, farceur, faute de mieux, fir, flâneur, Fleur, force majeure, fur, hauteur, her, infer, inter, jongleur, Kerr, littérateur, longueur, masseur, Monseigneur, monsieur, Montesquieu, Montreux, murre, myrrh, occur, pas de deux, Pasteur, per, pisteur, poseur, pot-au-feu, prefer, prie-dieu, pudeur, purr, raconteur, rapporteur, refer, répétiteur, restaurateur, saboteur, sabreur, seigneur, Sher, shirr, sir, skirr, slur, souteneur, spur, stir, tant mieux, transfer, Ur, vieux jeu, voyageur, voyeur, were, whirr
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.