- There he made preparations for his first attempts to consolidate purified platinum powder into a solid plug and to hammer it into a metallic ingot.
- This pore sealant both slows down corrosion of the zinc and consolidates the layer of zinc corrosion products, in order to maintain their protective effect.
- Strips of suitable length are cut, and are then beaten with a hammer in order to consolidate the substance of the hide.
- As he looks ahead to the history books, however, he seems to realize that hard power alone will not consolidate his position.
- The local club made home advantage tell and both teams secured second places, consolidating their mid-table positions.
- The acquisition forms part of the Group's strategy of category and geographic expansion of its trade division and firmly consolidates the Group's position in the South East of the country.
- The service consolidates a number of separate services that used to exist in different parts of the county.
- I feel the whole conference could have been consolidated into a single day if the tracks had been put together correctly.
- And, in time, the two technologies - Workplace Messaging and Notes - will be consolidated as a single technology.
- You can get around the cap by consolidating IRA accounts into your 401 plan if your employer allows it.
- If you have money spread around various bank deposit and building society accounts then this is as good a time as any to consolidate them into one single account.
- The new board has been instructed by cabinet to consolidate the corporation's accounts into a holding company and to settle the corporation's debts as well as its overdraft and outstanding loans.
- Most recently the Commission has made a proposal to reform and consolidate all of the legislation in one measure.
- Most of the 1875 Act was consolidated with related legislation in the Public Health Act 1936.
- The very last Major act was to consolidate the various legislation on employment rights regarding unfair dismissal, redundancy, and claims of lesser importance.
- Example sentences
- In this sense, the contest between transformers and consolidators is merely a version of the battle royal between No.10 and No.11 Downing Street - the offices of the Prime Minister and Chancellor.
- Unfortunately, many travelers steer away from consolidators and discounted tickets because they are scared they will not receive a seat, they will miss their flight and their business trip or vacation will be ruined.
- Airfare consolidators and discount travel specialists can create cheaper-than-ever globe-spanning itineraries by scouring the industry for closeout prices.
Early 16th century (in the sense 'combine into a whole'): from Latin consolidare, from con- 'together' + solidare 'make firm' (from solidus 'solid').
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: con|soli|date
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.