- Evan let his left hand slide away from the computer terminal as he spoke, thoughtfully contemplating the carpeted floor for a moment.
- Nancy replied, sitting on a chair opposite me and pulling her knees up to her chest, resting her chin on her knees as she contemplated me thoughtfully.
- Sitting on her bed she contemplated the phone thoughtfully - well if Nathan wasn't around he couldn't stop her from making a quick phone call.
- I boarded a plane for 20 hours of flying - lots of time to reflect on the past and contemplate the future.
- It can feel like an overwhelming position but one that you are considering if you have begun to contemplate your readiness.
- He began contemplating a political race before his 16-year-old son died in a 1996 car crash.
- As Boone sits on the beach contemplating what could have been, he turns to look at Jack with a resentment that goes unnoticed.
- Seats carved with verses - many referring to Lady Mary and her empathy with the scenery - have been placed at strategic intervals along the route, to sit and contemplate.
- It's at times like these when I sit and contemplate and plot.
- But when we actually contemplated some evil intention directed towards us, it seemed a little chillier.
- The book forced me to contemplate my own intentions in participating in a graduate education program that has a partnership with a predominantly Black school.
- Alexander stood at the edge of the balcony for a moment, contemplating the quandary, intently observed by Constantine.
- Example sentences
- We remain passive spectators, rational contemplators, reflecting on our experience.
- As expected, many participants were in the preparation stage of change; a quarter were precontemplators, and a fifth contemplators.
- For example, while contemplators need to be shown ways to move themselves to action, precontemplators need to be made aware that health risks are associated with their current behaviour.
Late 16th century: from Latin contemplat- 'surveyed, observed, contemplated', from the verb contemplari, based on templum 'place for observation'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: con|tem|plate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.