- Has any country ever had a more arrogant, insolent, contemptuous leader than we have?
- The problem lies in a deeply disrespectful, even contemptuous, attitude towards women.
- They should be made to pay for their contemptuous and arrogant behaviour.
- Example sentences
- This apolitical predisposition to mock precisely the kinds of people who'll actually pay to watch this kind of film is the height of contemptuousness.
- Their contemptuousness colors the debate anyway, especially in the press.
- First, women should try to present their complaints in a calm way: Research shows that men are more likely to listen if their partners tone down hostility and avoid contemptuousness.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'despising law and order'): from medieval Latin contemptuosus, from Latin contemptus 'contempt', from contemnere (see contemn).
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: con|temp¦tu|ous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.