- An Italian countess.More example sentences
- The dish is Carpaccio of beef, a plate of trimmed sirloin sliced wafer thin and dressed with a Jackson Pollock spray of mayonnaise mixed with lemon juice, which was invented for an Italian contessa who was on a diet free of cooked meat.
- The room was half filled with elderly contessas and solitary, beef-eating gourmands, with napkins stuck in their collars.
- Her costumes, like her paintings, are intricate and drenched in color, whether for a can-can dancer or a contessa.
Italian, from late Latin comitissa (see countess).
More definitions of contessaDefinition of contessa in:
- The US English dictionary