- This steep sided sea flows like a meeting place between the two continents of Africa and Asia.
- The Middle East and tropical Africa were the last continents that Europeans colonized.
- In fact, we know that tornadoes have occurred on all continents except Antarctica.
- Soon Sasha found herself riding in Hardy's carrier under the strange stars of the island continent.
- The island continent, Atlantis, began to tremble once more with extreme fury.
- Although it was a disaster it brought out some great characteristics of mateship and sacrifice for this little island continent of ours.
Mid 16th century (denoting a continuous tract of land): from Latin terra continens 'continuous land'.
The geographical term continent is from the Latin phrase (terra) continens ‘continuous land’. Continue (Middle English) comes from the same root.
Words that rhyme with continentsubcontinent
- We compared the risk of urinary incontinence in the daughters of incontinent women with that in the daughters of continent women.
- This provides a mechanism to influence the two muscle groups to work in concert for continent urine storage and release.
- The patients in the study were losing the ability to dress themselves, bathe, use the toilet, clean themselves, and remain continent.
- They believed that the church should be made up of women and men who were sexually continent and who also abstained from wine and meat.
- They were sexually continent all their lives.
- Example sentences
- And it was St. Augustine who proclaimed, ‘Give me chastity and continence, but not yet.’
- Self-reports of urinary continence showed no difference between groups.
- A program which establishes continence is a necessary custodial program.
- continently adverb
- Example sentences
- These are the potty training books, in which the heroine gets a new potty, expresses doubts, gives it a whirl, succeeds, buys new big-girl underwear, and lives continently ever after.
- They lived together continently for a year, and Birgitta was especially fervent in her prayers and ascetic devotions.
- In any event, if the conditions I mention about your living continently are met then you should be able to receive absolution and then the Eucharist.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.