noun[mass noun] Logic
Conversion of a proposition from all A is B to all not-B is not-A.
More example sentences
- By contraposition and the definition of the existential quantifier, the latter axiom is equivalent to x = x y (y = x).
- This means that form and content are not fully unified but retain a structure of abstract contraposition: the content is inscribed in the form while retaining much that cannot be grasped in it.
- As a contraposition to the conclusions derived from the summation theorem, we have used similar mathematical tools to show that dominance is not an inevitable property of metabolic pathways.
mid 16th century: from late Latin contrapositio(n-), from the verb contraponere, from contra- 'against' + ponere 'to place'.
- More example sentences
- The contrapositive of the inference is logically equivalent - X simulates Y, X does not have P therefore Y does not - where P is understands Chinese.
- And you know also the contrapositive, that your being at place X entails that you are not then in a tank on Alpha Centauri.
- Then the contrapositive not-PN entails not-MN is also true.
Pronunciation: /-ˈpɒzɪtɪv/adjective & noun
Definition of contraposition in:
- The US English dictionary