- 1 Logic Contrary opposition.More example sentences
- Does the sentence express a sort of opposition, either contradiction or contrariety etc.?
- The four that can attain this mark, because they depend solely upon the intrinsic properties of ideas, are resemblance, contrariety, degrees in quality, and proportions in quantity or number.
- There is a choice of contraries without very well settled modes of appropriation: standing for different degrees of contrariety.
- 2Opposition or inconsistency between two things.More example sentences
- If environmentalist opposition groups fail to understand that, and their misconceived contrariety prevails to the point where this town loses the chance for this university campus, their credibility will suffer a mortal blow.
- Examples such as this of contrariety within religion can be seen by the years of long debate and argument which have taken place and continue to take place between scholars and theologians alike.
- ‘Without contrariety there is no progression,’ William Blake wrote.
late Middle English: from Old French contrariete, from late Latin contrarietas, from contrarius (see contrary).
More definitions of contrarietyDefinition of contrariety in:
- The US English dictionary