noun (plural pronunc. same)
- 1A French form of country dance, originating in the 18th century and related to the quadrille.More example sentences
- The contredanse is a French import, with origins in the court of King Louis XIV.
- Again, it never achieved, in Louisiana, the popularity of the danse ronde, no doubt because many of the figures of the contredanse required an even number of couples.
- Both forms of contredanse were performed in France until the Revolution at the end of the eighteenth century.
French, alteration of English country dance, by association with contre 'against, opposite'.
More definitions of contredanseDefinition of contredanse in:
- The US English dictionary