- 1A painting of a genre in which groups of figures are posed in a landscape or domestic setting, popular especially in the 18th century.More example sentences
- He preferred the small, informal portrait, the conversation piece, landscape, and genre painting to full-length portraits in 18th-century British art.
- We have all seen the intense concentration that appears on the face of Anne Buxton in the conversation piece by Henry Walton, an expression that becomes the subject of Reynolds's ‘fancy’ picture A Boy Reading.
- He is portrayed in a conversation piece of c.1735-40 by James Worsdale, now in the National Gallery of Ireland.
- 2An object whose unusual quality makes it a topic of conversation: an umbrella stand conversation piece painted in garish coloursMore example sentences
- Though it remains monotonous and fails to have the spark that will compel you to finish it, it oozes quality and would make a great conversation piece at Christmas Dinner.
- They also make a great conversation piece because of their very unusual colors.
- If you buy a properly researched piece of art, it will become a conversation piece and enrich lives.
More definitions of conversation pieceDefinition of conversation piece in:
- The US English dictionary