Definition of convivial in English:
1(Of an atmosphere or event) friendly, lively, and enjoyable: a convivial cocktail party
More example sentences
- It was a lively, convivial atmosphere - gone but not forgotten.
- Or you could simply soak up the convivial atmosphere and practise your French with the friendly stallholders.
- There's an exceptionally warm, relaxed and convivial atmosphere here, with comfy sofas on rugged quarry tiles and a log-burning stove.
1.1(Of a person) cheerful and friendly; jovial: she was relaxed and convivial
More example sentences
- You get plenty of atmosphere, and all the trimmings, but in the civilised company of a group of convivial adults (and someone else does the washing-up).
- You are my enemy, and I'm not going to come here and put on a show that says that we are convivial and that we are colleagues and all we do is disagree in the daytime but at night we go out and have a beer.
- Somewhere in all this, there is the no less vivid memory of a large, convivial man in a dark collarless suit, with gold on his hands and wrists, addressing a meeting in London a year or so before Angola's only elections.
friendly, genial, affable, amiable, congenial, agreeable, good-humoured, cordial, warm, sociable, outgoing, gregarious, clubbable, companionable, hail-fellow-well-met;
cheerful, jolly, jovial, merry, lively, enjoyable, festive;
informal backslapping, chummy, pally
British informal matey
- Example sentences
- The folk memory and wisdom were transmitted by the elders to the younger generations by means of stories, recitations and songs, often done convivially around an evening fire outside village dwellings.
- It's not just about slow cooking and careful preparation of food, but also about slow eating: to savour the different tastes, to eat carefully, and convivially.
- Freedom to escape means being able to go beyond the conventional means of mediation and to interact more directly, more convivially, with others.
Mid 17th century (in the sense 'fit for a feast, festive'): from Latin convivialis, from convivium 'a feast', from con- 'with' + vivere 'live'.
Words that rhyme with convivialtrivial
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.