- Avoid doing something that one ought to do: he would not cop out of the difficult tax decisionsMore example sentences
avoid, shirk, skip, dodge, sidestep, skirt round, bypass, steer clear of, evade, escape, run away from, shrink from, slide out of, back out of, pull out of, turn one's back onNorth American • informal cutAustralian/New Zealand • informal duck-shove• archaic decline, bilk
- Ultimately, the plot cops out and an easy solution is pasted on to avoid confusion.
- Rather than face criticism, Fisk cops out by vilifying his critics as ‘haters’ who indulge in right-wing demagoguery.
- And, without giving anything away, Lucas totally cops out of the one truly disturbing moment the movie could have had.
More definitions of cop outDefinition of cop out in:
- The US English dictionary