1 (also coralroot orchid) A leafless orchid which has inconspicuous flowers and lacks chlorophyll. It has a pale knobbly rhizome which obtains nourishment from decaying organic matter.
- Genus Corallorhiza, family Orchidaceae: several species, including the widespread C. trifida.
- An unexpected display of coralroot orchid near the trailhead was just the first of many stops along the way.
- In June, berries are ripe and we will look for the coralroot orchids under the oak trees.
- The Navajo made a tea of spotted coralroot used as a lotion for ringworm or skin disease.
1.1 another term for cockscomb (sense 3).
2 (also coralroot bittercress) A Eurasian woodland plant with purple flowers and bud-like swellings (bulbils) at the base of the stem.
- Cardamine bulbifera, family Cruciferae.
- Old Park Wood is the most varied piece of woodland in Middlesex with an abundance of flowers in spring including yellow archangel, lesser celandine, wood anemone, coralroot bittercress and bluebells.
- Ancient woods are home to some special plants such as yellow bird's nest, coralroot bittercress and a number of rare orchids.
- Here in spring you can see wood anemones bluebells and an unusual plant with pinkish flowers called coralroot bittercress.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: coral|root
Definition of coralroot in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.