Definition of coralroot in English:
1 (also coralroot orchid) A leafless orchid which has inconspicuous flowers and lacks chlorophyll. It has a pale knobbly rhizome which obtains nourishment from decaying organic matter.
- An unexpected display of coralroot orchid near the trailhead was just the first of many stops along the way.
- In June, berries are ripe and we will look for the coralroot orchids under the oak trees.
- The Navajo made a tea of spotted coralroot used as a lotion for ringworm or skin disease.
1.1 another term for cockscomb (sense 3).
2 (also coralroot bittercress) A Eurasian woodland plant with purple flowers and bud-like swellings (bulbils) at the base of the stem.
- Cardamine bulbifera, family Cruciferae
- Old Park Wood is the most varied piece of woodland in Middlesex with an abundance of flowers in spring including yellow archangel, lesser celandine, wood anemone, coralroot bittercress and bluebells.
- Ancient woods are home to some special plants such as yellow bird's nest, coralroot bittercress and a number of rare orchids.
- Here in spring you can see wood anemones bluebells and an unusual plant with pinkish flowers called coralroot bittercress.
Definition of coralroot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan