- A dark blue mineral occurring chiefly in metamorphic rocks. It consists of an aluminosilicate of magnesium and iron, and also occurs as a dichroic gem variety.More example sentences
- Monazite clusters occur in a variety of host minerals, including cordierite, quartz, biotite and andalusite.
- Sericite is fine-grained muscovite formed by alteration of such minerals as feldspar, cordierite, and sillimanite.
- Sillimanite, cordierite, apatite, monazite and zircon are also present.
early 19th century: named after Pierre L. A. Cordier (1777–1861), French geologist, + -ite1.
More definitions of cordieriteDefinition of cordierite in:
- The US English dictionary