Definition of Corinthian in English:
1Belonging or relating to Corinth, especially the ancient city: Corinthian vase-painters a Corinthian colony
More example sentences
- The Corinthian citizen belonged to an oligarchy, a constitution which gave political rights to a narrow property-based citizen body and political power to a still narrower body, with its own legal regulations.
- He founded Potidaea in N Greece, the only Corinthian colony in the Aegean.
- Paul also reminds the Corinthian congregation that it belongs to those in every place who call on the name of the Lord Jesus.
1.1Relating to or denoting the most ornate of the classical orders of architecture (used especially by the Romans), characterized by flared capitals with rows of acanthus leaves.
- The architectural ornament is of that easy and delectable kind which mimics nature: the acanthus leaves of Corinthian capitals, garlands and trophies in the manner of Wren and Grinling Gibbons.
- Any room articulated in a full Corinthian order becomes a place of importance and majesty.
- Modelled on St. Peter's basilica in Rome, its façade is defined by Corinthian pilasters and a pediment, with a great central dome towering over them.
2Involving the highest standards of amateur sportsmanship: a club embodying the Corinthian spirit the game evolved from a purely Corinthian pastime to an internationally recognized entity
More example sentences
- It was slightly discomforting and jarring, especially for a nation clinging to the last vestiges of amateurism and praying for the return of the Corinthian spirit.
- Here in the wilds of Scotland, there were also incidents of note, though none would stir fond memories of Corinthian spirit.
- With the Olympic Games in Athens overshadowed by recent doping controversies, Paddy believes in the Corinthian spirit.
nounBack to top
1A native of Corinth.
- The Corinthians knew that such an alliance would make war inevitable.
- The Corinthians agreed to become involved, partly from hatred toward Corcyra for not acting appropriately toward its mother city.
- Paul warns the Corinthians that if they eat and drink in an unworthy manner, they will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.
2 [mass noun] The Corinthian order of architecture.
- Inside, you went through Corinthian-style pillars into a hall with French windows opening onto the back garden.
- The opulence of the Corinthian is amply illustrated by the order of the Pantheon, and in all of classical architecture no other element more perfectly captures the balance of formal geometry and sensuous delight.
Definition of Corinthian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.