A rather large diving bird with a long neck, long hooked bill, short legs, and mainly dark plumage. It typically breeds on coastal cliffs.
- Genus Phalacrocorax (and Nannopterum), family Phalacrocoracidae: numerous species, in particular the widespread (great) cormorant (P. carbo)
More example sentences
- We were extremely fortunate that the cormorants were in breeding plumage.
- The double-crested cormorant is a black bird with a long neck, long bill, hooked on the end, and long tail.
- Ducks, coots, teals, terns, gulls, cormorants, waders, egrets, plovers and herons are some of the birds that assemble here.
Definition of cormorant in:
- The US English dictionary