Definition of corned beef in English:
1British Beef preserved in brine, chopped and pressed and sold in tins.
- Cured meats like bacon, corned beef, ham and pastrami contain preservatives called nitrates that have been linked to stomach and colon cancers.
- Meat was preserved in tins in the Napoleonic period and known as bœuf bouilli, the origin of the English description of corned beef as ‘bully beef’.
- We had free school dinners and I loved spam fritters, sausage pie, stew, corned beef, or meat loaf, followed by pink custard and sponge.
2North American Beef brisket cured in brine and boiled, typically served cold.
- I'd been in the middle of preparing one of our favourite meals: cauliflower cheese garnished with crispy bacon, served with sliced cold corned beef and good quality boiled potatoes.
- Zone in on those oversized sandwiches built with hot corned beef or pastrami served on soft, sturdy, seedless rye.
- This unctuous purée is good served with barbecued lamb cutlets and a green salad, or with cold corned beef or ham.
Definition of corned beef in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan