1British Beef preserved in brine, chopped and pressed and sold in tins.
- Cured meats like bacon, corned beef, ham and pastrami contain preservatives called nitrates that have been linked to stomach and colon cancers.
- Meat was preserved in tins in the Napoleonic period and known as bœuf bouilli, the origin of the English description of corned beef as ‘bully beef’.
- We had free school dinners and I loved spam fritters, sausage pie, stew, corned beef, or meat loaf, followed by pink custard and sponge.
2North American Beef brisket cured in brine and boiled, typically served cold.
- I'd been in the middle of preparing one of our favourite meals: cauliflower cheese garnished with crispy bacon, served with sliced cold corned beef and good quality boiled potatoes.
- Zone in on those oversized sandwiches built with hot corned beef or pastrami served on soft, sturdy, seedless rye.
- This unctuous purée is good served with barbecued lamb cutlets and a green salad, or with cold corned beef or ham.
Definition of corned beef in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.