- 1A large company or group of companies authorized to act as a single entity and recognized as such in law: the Cardiff Bay Development Corporation multinational corporationsMore example sentences
- The majority of creditors are large corporations and insurance and reinsurance companies.
- The applicant was the largest creditor of the corporation and substantially financed its incorporation.
- Multinational corporations have taken over the economy while being protected by the law.
- 2British A group of people elected to govern a city, town, or borough: the City of London CorporationMore example sentences
- The Municipal Corporations Act of 1835 had given elected corporations to the large towns.
- Holland was ruled by the Regent corporations of the eighteen cities represented in the Holland States.
- Thirty-three years ago he even won a seat on the city corporation for one term at a time when the Tories were serious contenders for power in George Square.
late Middle English: from late Latin corporatio(n-), from Latin corporare 'combine in one body' (see corporate).