Definition of corroboree in English:
1An Australian Aboriginal dance ceremony which may take the form of a sacred ritual or an informal gathering.
- Missionaries ensured that Christian ceremonies replaced corroborees at mission stations.
- And that's where we're going to have our discussions and have our corroborees and dance and traditional stuff like that.
- Nearby, at the Pamagirri Aboriginal Experience, visitors can learn how to throw a boomerang or to play the didgeridoo, before watching aboriginal dancers perform a corroboree.
1.1chiefly Australian A party or other lively social gathering: of all the strange indigenous corroborees that take place in Melbourne, the Melbourne Cup is unquestionably the best
More example sentences
- If it's not the sound of fighting and murder, it's corroborees all night to keep the neighbours up, the cops busy and the letters to the editor interesting.
- Lehman is not discussing corroboree protocol or how to have a good time at a barbecue - the discussion is about how to properly write a history book.
From Dharuk garaabara, denoting a style of dancing.
Words that rhyme with corroboreejobbery, robbery, slobbery, snobbery
Definition of corroboree in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan