Definition of corrosive in English:
Tending to cause corrosion: the corrosive effects of salt water
More example sentences
- Casein reportedly counters the effect of corrosive plaque acid from sugary foods and puts a protective film on teeth.
- The stomach lining is tough and handles acid well, but the acid has a corrosive effect on the lining of the esophagus, which is delicate and thin.
- Increasingly, this tidal wave seems to have had a more subtle and corrosive effect on coverage.
nounBack to top
A corrosive substance.
- That is an enormous range of substances and, as has already been pointed out, it includes explosives, corrosives, oxidising agents, reducing agents, caustic agents, and acidic agents - the works.
- We show them the many things that can be recycled here, ranging from car batteries and waste medicine to household corrosives as well as plastic, cardboard and paint.
- That would include corrosives used mainly for metalworking and some agricultural applications and flammables.
- Example sentences
- A director famed for creating self-consciously radical, wildly unconventional, corrosively satirical, and savagely violent works could do worse then take on board an actor who personifies those traits in his everyday life.
- Bloom's fame arose from the way he corrosively attacked universities for failing to open students' minds by exposing them to the philosophic quest for understanding that enriches the human spirit.
- Indecision corrosively blights a community and our residents deserve better.
- Example sentences
- A nuisance associated with hydrogen sulfide includes its corrosiveness to metals such as iron, steel, copper and brass.
- He slouches with disappointment and straightens with hope, matching Terri's corrosiveness with his own brand of compassion and burrowing into the female enclave of Terri's home with both tenderness and tenacity.
- Disadvantages include storage, corrosiveness, and fuel waste due to ‘crossover’ in the fuel-cell membrane.
Words that rhyme with corrosiveexplosive, implosive, plosive
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.