- A perching bird found in the forests of Central and South America, the male of which is frequently brilliantly coloured.
More example sentences
- Family Cotingidae (the cotinga family): several genera, especially Cotinga, and numerous species. The cotinga family also includes the bellbirds, umbrellabirds, and cocks-of-the-rock, and is sometimes placed within the family Tyrannidae
- They say the gray-winged cotinga occupies forest at a higher elevation than the black-and-gold cotinga.
- Using remote sensing predictions, the researchers calculate the likely range of a rare and range-restricted endemic bird of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the grey-winged cotinga.
- Actually finding the cotinga would be a huge step toward establishing the use of computer models as viable tools for determining what areas should be protected.
via French from Tupi cutinga.
More definitions of cotingaDefinition of cotinga in:
- The US English dictionary