- A sedge which typically grows on wet moorlands in the northern hemisphere, producing tufts of long white silky hairs which aid in the dispersal of the seeds. Also called bog cotton.
More example sentences
- Genus Eriophorum, family Cyperaceae
- Two species of sedges that form cottony seed masses are called cotton grass.
- The surrounding land drops down close to 2,500 feet, and possesses all the flora and fauna you'd expect from an Appalachian mountain range - mountain laurel, rhododendron, cotton grass, pine trees and all the deer you can fathom.
- On one side of the water is a wide plain, speckled white with Arctic cotton grass.
More definitions of cotton grassDefinition of cotton grass in:
- The US English dictionary