1A North American poplar with seeds covered in white cottony hairs.
- Genus Populus, family Salicaceae: several species, including P. deltoides
More example sentences
- Select light and airy woods like white cedar, white pine, cottonwood, poplar, spruce or larch (tamarack).
- The genus Populus (poplars, cottonwoods and aspens) contains approx. 30 species of woody plant, all found in the Northern hemisphere and exhibiting some of the fastest growth rates observed in temperate trees.
- The willows, white oaks, cottonwoods, and pecans that grow here are normally much taller than the oaks of the Cross Timbers forest.
Definition of cottonwood in:
- The US English dictionary